Enhancement in SAP ABAP
ABAP Series Part-8.
In this blog, I will discuss what is Enhancement.
In SAP for performing any kind of task in the R/3 system, a transaction code is used. SAP provides a standard set of transaction codes to be used, But sometimes, we need to create a client-specific Customization. Because in standard SAP may not support that task, or we need to enhance some screen as per their requirements.
What is Enhancement?
It is a special type of programming where we write code for which it is used to enhance custom SAP screens. In short in SAP ABAP we can enhance a specific screen and transaction code as per our requirement. It permits us to modify/add SAP standard business applications without modifying original applications.
Enhancement Types in SAP:
- User Exit.
- Customer Exit.
- Enhancement Framework.
- User Exits:- It is considered a modification and not an enhancement because we are changing the existing code.
- Implemented as Subroutines.
- Customer Exits:- These are created for specific programs, screens, and menus within the standard applications.
- Implemented as Function Modules.
Types of Customer Exits
There are Several Types of Customer Exits.
- Menu Exits.
These are implemented by SAP and are reserved menu entries in the GUI interface.
- Screen Exits.
It allows the user to add fields to a screen in the SAP program via sub-screen which is called within standard screen’s flow logic.
- Function Module Exits.
It is implemented as a call to the function module.
- Field Exits.
- Badi:- SAP enhancement technique based on OOPS. Custom code can be pushed in between SAP standard functionality in order to attain user-specific requirements.
- BADIs permit different levels of system landscape (SAP standard, partner system, customer solutions, along with country versions, industry solutions, etc.)
- Enhancement Framework:- It is the new enhancement concept that helps the user, client, and third parties by giving an option of enhancing the standard code base with the custom code that they want to add.
The following image shows Enhancement Framework Components.
Two types of Enhancement Points.
Implicit Enhancement:- It is predefined enhancements provided by SAP in the source code.
Explicit Enhancement:- Also called Enhancement spots. It provides by SAP at the various sections of the code.
Explicit Enhancement provides the terms Enhancement Point and Enhancement Section.
Enhancement Point:- It is a point in the SAP program where customers can include further functions in the form of source code without modifying the existing program.
Enhancement Section:- It is the option provided explicitly by SAP to replace a block of SAP code with custom code.
In the article, I give an off the view of Enhancement in SAP ABAP.
Thanks for reading.
If you Want to Connect with Me:
Thank you, stay safe, stay healthy.
Stay tuned till the next blog.